Farnborough College of Technology
FOR ADVICE CALL 01252 40 55 55

Returning to Education: FAQs

Whether you took time out to raise a family, are looking to progress in your current role, or want to train for a brand new career, we have a range of courses to suit your needs.

Returning to education after a break may seem daunting, but our network of support services will help make returning to study as smooth as possible. If you’re not sure about returning to education or which course to choose, you can talk to us about your options or access free impartial advice and guidance from the National Careers Service.

What type of courses can I study as an adult?

We offer courses for all ages and ambitions:

Part-time Courses
You can choose from our variety of part-time and professional courses. These courses are typically taught in the evening to fit around your work or family commitments.

Access to Higher Education
If you missed out on a formal qualification at college, our one-year Access to Higher Education qualification can provide you with a route to university study. These courses can help to improve your confidence, refresh your skills and unlock new ones. Hundreds of former students have gone on to university.

University-level Courses
University Centre Farnborough offers degrees and higher education qualifications in a different way to traditional universities, with classroom-based lectures and lots of personalised support.

If you don’t hold a grade C in GCSE maths or GCSE English, you can study these courses with us for free.

If English is not your first language, our English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) course can improve your language skills and provide you with a route to a wide range of qualifications and subjects.

Free Online Courses
We offer a number of free online courses in a variety of health and wellbeing subjects.

If you have prior learning, it could be possible for you to join a degree in the final year, rather than in the first year. Find out more here.

How do I balance study with my family/career?

Our GCSE, ESOL and part-time courses are taught in the evening to fit around your work/daily life schedule. If you require childcare while you study, our on-site nursery, Bookworms, provides daytime childcare for children aged from three months.

Is there any support for my health and wellbeing?

Our health and wellbeing advisor can offer advice on any health concerns you may have, while our counsellors offer a free service of confidential one-to-one appointments to help with personal or emotional issues. Find out more here.

How can I fund my studies?

There are lots of ways you can get help with the costs of studying:

Student Finance
The government offers loans to UK residents to cover the tuition fees of higher education courses.

Advanced Learner Loan
The government offers loans to UK residents to cover the costs of a number of adult courses.

Fee Remission
If you meet certain criteria, you may be able to study some of our courses for free.

Financial Support
Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible to receive help with the costs of travel, textbooks, uniform, and childcare while you study.

Will I be a different age to everyone else in the class?

Our classes are made up of people aged 18 and over, from lots of different backgrounds and walks of life. Many of our students tell us that they become good friends with their classmates and feel supported knowing they’re in a similar position.

I’ve had a break from studying – can I get extra support?

We understand that returning to education may seem difficult. You can relax knowing you won’t be left alone and will get lots of support from our dedicated lecturers, and usually your classmates too!

Visit an Open Event to explore your options. If you have any questions, please get in-touch at info@farn-ct.ac.uk, 01252 405555, or via our online form

Skip to content