Farnborough College of Technology
FOR ADVICE CALL 01252 40 55 55


It’s normal to have lots of questions about what college is really like. We believe the best way to learn about college, settle any nerves, and feel prepared for life after school is to visit us at one of our Open Events.

At our Open Events, you can talk to current students, lecturers and our Learner Services team about any questions you have, before discovering college life for yourself.

School Leavers FAQs

How will I plan my college work?

At the start of term, you'll receive a Student Success Passport which includes a diary as well as an Individual Learning Plan (ILP). These will help you to plan your time and manage your assignments.

What will the classes be like?

You'll have a variety of teaching and learning experiences. These can include workshops and skills sessions, lectures, seminars, discussions, student presentations and independent research.

What if I need help with my work?

We advise you talk to your tutor first. They may be able to provide all the help that is needed, but if not our Additional Learning Support team can support you with skills like writing assignments or organising your time.

How much homework will I be set?

This depends on your programme, but you'll generally be set a piece of assessed work every three weeks.

Will I have enough free time for a part-time job?

Yes, it's possible to work outside of college time. We recommend that you should work no more than 12 hours per week, as this can affect your success at college.

Can I get financial help while at college?

Some students are eligible for free meals and help with other costs, such as travel passes, uniform and equipment. Click here to find out more about how we can help with the costs of studying.

What does the College do to prepare students for their course?

In the summer before your programme starts, you'll be invited to attend Summer College. This helps you to make new friends, get to know the college and meet tutors and prepare for your programme.

Do parents/guardians receive reports?

Targets for your achievement are fed back to parents/guardians and students in a minimum of two reports a year, as well as at parents' evenings. We'll also invite parents/guardians into college in September to explain how they can contribute to your success, the requirements of the programme and how to get in contact with the college if needed.

Additional Learning Support FAQs

In my last school/ college I had exam access arrangements for my exams. Will I still get these at FCoT?

If you had access arrangements at school, these will not automatically be carried over to college. We will have to interview and reassess you.  Please let us know that you have had exam access arrangements at c.turl@farn-ct.ac.uk and we will arrange for you to have an interview and reassessment as soon as possible.  Exam Access Arrangements may include a reader, scribe, extra time, use of word processor, small room or rest breaks.  Interviews and reassessments are prioritised in exam order, however we will endeavour to meet with you as soon as possible.

I have an EHCP. What support will I get in college?

All students with EHCPs on mainstream courses will be allocated a key person. The ALS key person will be looking after your support needs whilst you are at FCoT. They will work with you to ensure that you get the support you need, liaise with tutors so that they are aware of your needs and know how to best support you in the classroom, and put in place support in line with your plan and the demands of your course. Students with EHCPs will have regular opportunities to meet with their key person as well as small groups and in class support (where appropriate).

Will I have support in class?

We to offer support in class but this will be dependent on your needs and will be assessed by qualified staff.

Is there a quiet room available?

There are a number of areas around the college where you are welcome to either work or spend your leisure time. We have indoor and outdoor eating areas as well as an LRC and study areas within each subject area. However, if you require somewhere quieter we do have an area in the Additional Learning Support department where students are welcome to eat their lunch, meet other similar minded students, and meet with ALS staff if needed. Students are also welcome to use this area before classes in the morning.

Do you have ELSA support available?

Yes, we do have ELSA support available for students who require it.  Please be aware, at busy times of the year, there may be a waiting list for ELSA support.

Higher Education FAQs

How much will a course cost?

The cost for each course varies, but is typically more affordable than traditional universities' fees. Tuitions fees and other costs are listed on each course's webpage. Click here to view our range of courses.

Thanks to a range of loans and bursaries, university-level courses are available to those from all backgrounds. Typically, students take out a tuition fee loan to cover their course fees. This covers the full cost of tuition, meaning there is no upfront fee to pay and your repayments will be based on your income after you finish your course, not what you borrowed. Plus, there is no age limit for tuition fee loans.

You can find out more about Student Finance loans and make an application here.

Does it matter if I've been out of education for a while?

Your experience outside of the classroom may be as valuable as those in it, due to the fact many of our degrees are focused around a particular career.

You may have prior learning which could make it possible for you to join a degree in the final year, rather than in the first year. Often your experience through industry, or achievement of other qualifications, can count towards your degree – making it possible to graduate after just one year. Find out more here.

Our Access to Higher Education Diploma is also available to students who would benefit from honing their study skills or gaining enough experience to apply for a university level course. You should not assume that university-level courses are not for you. Get in touch with us to explore your options!

Aren't universities big and overwhelming?

As a student at Farnborough you will be studying on a quiet campus with small class sizes, and if you studied at college here you will already know several of the teachers and classrooms too.

How will I find the time to study?

Some of our degrees are taught with part-time attendance, while our professional courses are taught in the evenings. Some of our courses are also tailored to fit around your work commitments too, be sure to ask us about how your work, family and study commitments can be balanced.

How will I look after my young children while studying?

Thanks to our onsite nursery, Bookworms, you can have your children cared for close by while you study. Ofsted confirmed the Good standard of the nursery in 2015, which has a baby unit, toddler room, preschool room and outdoor play area.

Apprenticeship FAQs

Who are Apprenticeships for?

Apprenticeships are suitable to those aged 16 and over, who are or want to be in full-time employment. You will gain skills and qualifications through training whilst working.

How does an Apprenticeship work?

You get a job with an employer, start work with them and earn as you learn! They will support you in developing the skills you need to gain your qualification.

Apprentices either undertake their Apprenticeship 100% in the workplace alongside their job or spend four days each week in the workplace and attend college one day a week (during term time).

You can also do an Apprenticeship with your existing employer.

What qualifications will an Apprentice gain?

Successful apprentices will gain a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ), Technical Certificate, a range of Functional Skills, and Employment Rights and Responsibilities.

What are NVQs?

These are work-based qualifications that are based on your ability to do a particular job. They are divided into units covering different aspects of the job. They show that you can do a job to national standards and have the skills that employers are looking for.

NVQs are achieved through the demonstration of skills. Assessments usually take place where you work through observation and questioning.

What are Technical Certificates?

These are vocationally-related qualifications that provide the underpinning knowledge for the NVQ.

What do Functional Skills cover?

Functional Skills include English, Maths and Information Communication Technology. They are skills used in all industries.

Employers are looking for people who can communicate well, use numbers to do calculations and pricing and use new technology.

You will be encouraged to practice and develop your Functional Skills in your day-to-day work, as well as in training sessions at College.

What support will I get with my Apprenticeship programme?

Our Business Services team at the College will support you every step of the way. Your Advisor will visit you in the workplace and support you as you progress through your Individual Learning Plan.

Skip to content